Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thoughts:
Reviewed Arigato sequence. As well as a couple of the verses.

Anki:

Reviewed yesterday's cards (chord sequence deck also). Added 6th - 2nd ascending tomorrow. Add 2nd - 6th descending.

Warm-up/Technique:
Finger-stretching exercise @ 100 bpm

String Walking exercise
(Pumping Nylon pg. 37) with i,m quarter notes @ 160 bpm
String Walking exercise with m, l with quarter@ 114 bpm

Right-Hand Velocity (pg. 63) with sixteenth notes @ 105 bpm rest & free YEAH!
l, m @ 90 bpm rest & free

Synchronization Exercise (Pumping Nylon pg. 65) with i,m sixteenth notes - @ 95 bpm rest

Rhythm Played Freddie Green lick to 100 bpm metronome on silent

Repertoire:

Samba Caribe
Practiced @ 50bpm
Section A sounds good ! :)

Learned Section Bars 1-4. As the composer of this piece warns in the intro, the syncopation is actually hard to get down. I love the groove, and also the way that the bass invariable goes V-I-V-I on the beats

Failed miserably on the Dm - Am chord change in bar 4 of section B when played the piece from the beginning. Fingers still not used to this tight chord position.

Estrellita
Minor mistakes but feel is there. Hard to image chord progressions ahead - gets in the way of feeling the meaning of the piece.

Pica Pica
Played w/ metronome @ 76 bpm on silent. Very hard to keep to it if I take my eyes off of the light for a couple of bars. Certain sections tend to speed up as well.

My target concert speed is 85 bpm.

Na Gafieira Do Vidigal
This is the Baden Powell piece that I've wanted to play for some years now. It really is in the spirit of a jam samba, but it's also contemplative. Definitely, it should appeal to the mass audience (as opposed to Pica-Pica and Estrellita, which are a bit too old-fashioned for modern tastes). I want to find more pieces like this one that highlight the guitar sound but that can be played at festive occasions (danceable).

It is one of my mediumn-term goals. As I work on the other 3 pieces, I figured that I should start working on this little-by-little so that I will have a longer term goal.

Loaded this baby up into Transcribe and transcribed the first 8 bars - piece of a cake. I've got a feeling the hard part here is not gonna be the notes themselves, but the rhythm. Just keep on chugging.

Sightreading:
Delcamp Vol II. p. 41
Waltz on page 40 is reminiscent of an old wedding dance song. I can just picture it. I wonder if there's demand for such guitar arrangements at real weddings.....

No comments:

Post a Comment